Ontario Sports Betting Sites & Apps Online
Ontario's gaming market exploded in 2022, as a result of the legalization of sports betting and online casinos, which came into effect on April 4th. It was possible to place a sports bet before as well, but it was only available at state-owned lotteries. Now, it's a free market, as it should be, and there is a lot more competition and better offers for all players.
With the market being legalized, there was a flood of new sportsbooks in Ontario, which acquired the license from AGCO (Alcohol and Gaming Commission), and are now available for you to choose from.
Sports betting in Ontario is now possible at a variety of sites, and we talk about the very best ones in this article. Thanks to our curated lists, you will find the best online sports betting in Ontario. We have comprehensive resources that you can consult before you decide which is the best sportsbook for you.
3 of the Best Sport Betting Sites with Apps in Ontario
These days, a majority of all sports-related betting is done on mobile devices. As such, sites must consider this, and if possible they should come with special apps, to make your life easier. Below, you will find info on the best Ontario sports betting apps, and it's generally a good idea to check out the ones that offer a great experience on mobile devices.
While there will be some sites that have only a responsive design, the best sports betting sites in Ontario will go one step further and will include special apps for you to download and use. These apps are designed for both major platforms usually, so you can install the required app for iPhone or Android, depending on what's needed.
New Ontario Sportbooks for 2022
Ontario's market is booming right now, and as it was legalized just a few short months ago, there are still a lot of new sportsbooks that are joining it. They have to go through legal steps to prove that they follow the local regulations and that their players are protected.
New Ontario sportsbooks will be supervised by Ontario's Alcohol and Gaming Commission (AGCO), which will ensure that they follow all regulations.
Our site lists all these new sportsbooks that get a license in Ontario, and you can find them all below. Learn about what they have to offer, whether they have good welcome bonuses for their players, and also about how varied is their offer when it comes to sports to bet on. Any serious sportsbook will have to include Canada's favorite sports among their options, so the local hockey teams will always be available, to mention just one of them.
Legal Sports Betting Sites Comparison
A long list of popular sportsbook sites will not do you much good, at least not without a way to choose which one is best for you. That's where this next section comes in, as we list below a comparison table for the various legal sports betting sites available in Ontario right now.
There are different parameters for you to look at, and there will typically be differences between sports betting sites. Some will offer you a lot more sports to place bets on, and from more countries, while others may have a better app, better bonuses, or more payment methods that you already have access to.
Finding all this info from various sites, and figuring out which is best in each area, is something that would be time-consuming if you had to do it on your own. We recommend you check out our comparison table instead, as we did all the work for you.
Ontario Sports Betting Promotions & Bonuses
Whether we're talking about an established sportsbook or a new one, chances are that they're always looking for new players. One of the main ways through which they convince punters to come on board is to offer them sportsbook bonuses when they sign-up and make a deposit. There are other types of online sports betting promos as well, some of them even free of charge, though there are limitations put in place for those.
The Ontario sports betting promotions are there for you to choose from, but first, you should learn a little bit about each one, and find out what they can do for you. As with all other casino promotions, there are limitations on how much you can take home or betting requirements that have to be met before you can withdraw funds.
Even after you've signed up with a sportsbook, you will find that there are always new promotions to take advantage of. It could be free bets, reload bonuses, or some kind of loyalty program, and the idea is always to keep you betting.
- Welcome Bonus: typically, the welcome bonus is the most generous offer that the casino will make you. It usually includes a 100% match for your deposit, so you double the amount that you get started with, and sometimes it could also include free bets of a certain amount. Watch out for the requirements which have to be met before you can cash out that money though since there are always limitations put in place.
- Free Bets: this is pretty much what it sounds like. As a reward for signing up for them, sportsbooks from Ontario could offer you the option to place one or more free bets, while staying within a certain amount of free money that they give you. Once again, there are wagering requirements in place, so you can't just cash out the amount you win while using the sportsbook's money.
- No Deposit Bonus: once again, this will not cost you anything. You can get free money from the sportsbook, without having to deposit your own. It's going to be a small amount, but you can use it to check out the site, how well it works on a mobile device, and to have some fun placing wagers. You will have to make deposits and fulfill the wagering requirements before you cash out any of those winnings.
Sport Betting Apps vs Sites. What is Better?
Depending on how you prefer placing a bet, you could go with a sports betting site, or with an app that provides access to one. With all the information that's offered about games, and especially if you want to do some research beforehand, using a desktop PC and accessing the site directly might be easier in some cases. On the other hand, if you're not at home, it will be much easier to just use sports betting apps to place a wager on a certain game.
Easier to access on desktop PCs or laptops, especially if it's a larger screen. These will often be responsive, so you can still use them from mobile devices, but the experience you get from a dedicated app is going to be better usually.
These are only for mobile devices, available both for iOS and Android these days, so they're specialized tools for certain platforms, and as such, they can provide a better experience on smaller screens. It's not a guarantee though, as apps that aren't well-designed can be worse than a responsive site.
Ultimately, I recommend you check out both, and use them as required. If you're out of the house, go for the app, especially as some sites may offer mobile-only promotions. If you're at home, the site might offer more information, and it's typically easier to use on a PC.
Popular Sportbooks Cashier Methods Online in Ontario
One of the first things that you need to do, once you've signed up with a new sportsbook, is make a deposit and place a bet. This is why it's important to pick the ones that have the right payment system for sports betting, and this can be different for each person. Some may prefer using credit cards, while others may want a pre-paid card or some kind of e-wallet, for safety purposes.
Not all sportsbooks are created equally, and some of them may offer a limited number of payment methods for bets. It's a good idea to check out this sort of thing beforehand, along with information on how much you can deposit or withdraw, and what are the limitations there.
- Visa & Mastercard: this is the most accessible option for a majority of those that want to place a bet on a sportsbook. It's also a payment system that all sportsbooks should have. While easy to use, this method also has the disadvantage that you have to give your credit card info to a gaming site, and some may be reluctant to do that.
- Interac: available since the 80s, Interac was built with Canada's needs in mind, and it's quite popular in Ontario as well. You're getting it in the form of a debit card, ready to be funded as needed, so you only keep on it the money that's required.
- iDebit: this one is also excellent for Ontario-based players, and it's offered by most sportsbooks among their payment systems. It's considered an e-wallet, which is integrated directly into most Canadian banks, so you can make payments from your existing account.
- PayPal: it's a popular e-wallet, available worldwide, which you can use together with a bank account or credit/debit card. You fund the account as needed, or you use it as an intermediary, to hide the credit card's details.
Top Popular Sports in Betting Apps
Betting apps will allow you to quickly place a wager on any sport you want, and there will be all sorts of different things that you can spend money on. You can try to guess the exact result, the team that is at advantage at half-time, how many penalties are given, and so on.
Since these are not small sportsbooks, but rather sites connected to global networks, you can spend money on many different sports events. It might be a sport that is popular in Canada, but it could also be an event from the other side of the world. This means that you can place a bet on a boxing match even at 3 AM since there is always something going on somewhere in the world.
Below you can learn about some of the sports that are popular in betting apps right now, especially in Ontario.
Betting on American Football
It's one of the sports most popular in North America, especially in the United States, and so it has its fair share of fans in Canada as well. Two teams of 11 go against each other, using a football with an oval shape, and they try to score in the other team's touchdown area or through two goalposts.
This one's a classic sport that's been around since Ancient Greece when it was an Olympic sport. Still around today, though not quite as popular as it was a century or two ago, it is a great option if you want to place a bet.
The game of golf is another one that gets a lot of fans, and it's also quite old. It dates back to the 15th century, and it evolved into an entire industry these days. There are over twenty professional tours that are organized each year, plus various other championships.
Betting on Basketball
This is another huge sport in North America, but there are great leagues in Europe as well, and you can find a lot of games to bet on at any time, day or night. It's fast-paced, it takes great skill, and it's always fun to watch as well.
It's a sport that is also very popular in North America, both in the United States and Canada. Outside this continent, you can bet on professional teams from Japan, China, Taiwan, and South Korea, along with several leagues from South America.
Some may know this game as ping-pong. It's a game of high skill, which is popular in several countries in East Asia and Europe, which is where the most powerful competitions are taking place. If you're a fan, it's possible to place bets on such events.
Talking ice hockey, in particular, is a sport that's hugely popular in Canada, but you can also find matches to bet on in other countries. Among them, you will find Finland, the Czech Republic, Latvia, and Slovakia, and this sport is highly popular in each one.
Betting on Lacrosse
Using a stick and a ball, both special for this particular sport, you try to score goals. There are a couple of versions, such as women's lacrosse and field lacrosse (with body contact, for men), along with two others.
Ontario Sports Betting Guide
As a beginner, it's a good idea to get information on how to place a bet, create an account, and use bonuses, and also what exactly is available to you at an online sportsbook. The different types of bets, which are the most popular teams to spend money on, or what you need to know about betting legally in Ontario, you can read all about it below.
How to Start Playing Online in Ontario
To make it easy for you, we've written below the exact step-by-step way to sign-up for an account at a sportsbook, and then start playing.
- Click on one of the sportsbooks that we recommend on our site, to visit their website.
- Find the Register or Join button, which they typically place somewhere at the top of the page.
- Provide the sportsbook with all the information that's required, from your name and address to email and password. There will be terms and conditions to read and agree to, but once that's done you can move on to the next step. You have to be 19 years or older to be allowed to go to the next step.
- This is mostly for those that want to play on mobile devices, where I'd recommend you download the sportsbook's app, either for Android or iOS. Once the account is created, you can log in with those details.
- Find out about your options when it comes to responsible gaming. The sportsbook should give you the option to self-exclude, put time limits on your betting, or limit how much you can spend.
- Start placing bets at Ontario sportsbooks, but keep in mind that you shouldn't spend more money than you can afford to lose.
Types of Bets Available in Apps
Finding the best sports betting sites in Ontario is just one step. Creating your account is another one, but eventually, you will get to the stage where you've made your deposit, collected some kind of bonus, and you're ready to place a bet. Apps can offer you a dizzying amount of options when it comes to sports betting, and it can be a lot more complicated than just saying who you think might win at the end of the game.
Below, you can read all about the different types of bets available in apps or on a sportsbook's website. The best Ontario sports betting apps will give you the option to use most or all of these.
- Money Line Bets: this is the basic wager, which you will use to decide what team will win, out of those involved. You place a bet on a team's money line, and then you win if they do as well. It's one of the most straightforward options available to you.
- Point Spread: this bet allows you to place the bet on a margin for victory, and it can be with a minus or a plus, depending if they're the favorite or the underdog, respectively. If it's a -5 they have to win with a 5-point difference, and if it's at +5 they have to win or lose at less than 5 points difference.
- Over/Under (Totals): this allows you to bet on the combined score from both teams. You can bet on a game that will end over or under that amount.
- Parlay Bets: you can also place wagers on multiple events at the same time, or of multiple types at a single event. As several bets need to be right at the same time, you can win a lot more this way, but you also have smaller odds of getting them all right.
- Teasers: once again, it's going to combine multiple bets in a single ticket. However, it's using point spreads, so you don't risk as much with each bet that's included. The bets can also be more favorable than a simple point spread.
- Prop Bets: the prop bet is used on something related to the game, but it is not directly influenced by who wins or what the final score is. You can use one to bet on which players will be eliminated, who has the most cards, who will score goals, or which team will be first to score a certain number of points.
- Middle Bets: this one's interesting, as it involves using several sportsbooks for similar bets. You place a bet at one of them that a certain team will win, and at the other, you bet that it will lose. You have to find sportsbooks where you get the best odds for these events, so you either win some money when all is said and done, or you don't lose as much. Placing a bet on both outcomes requires some research though, as you need to find the best odds possible in both cases.
- Futures Bets: these are long-term bets, even for an entire season. You decide who will win the league, which player will score the most goals, or how many winning matches a team will have in the entire season.
- Live Betting: as the game progresses, and you're looking at how each team fares, you can place a live bet on something that's going to happen. You can use several types of bets at this point, but it's all live and exciting. The best Ontario sports betting app should include this option.
- Points Betting: similar to the point spread, but you get a smaller or larger win, depending on how close or far the team is from the spread. It's not a fixed reward, which adds to the volatility.
Popular Ontario Sports Teams for Bets
If you're from Ontario, and you want to place bets on local teams, then you're in luck. There are many options for you to choose from, ranging from NBA to MLB teams. Here are five of the best options available to you, if you're looking for sports teams for bets in Ontario.
|Toronto Maple Leafs||This is one of the country's most loved ice hockey teams, and a lot of players will place bets on them out of loyalty. The odds are smaller in the long run because many bet on them, and that could be something to take advantage of.|
|Toronto Raptors||This is an NBA team, which won the finals against Golden State Warriors. They've been part of the NBA since the 90s, and they proved that they belong there|
|Toronto Blue Jays||A baseball team, the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series back in the 90s, and it's another very popular option in Canada.|
|Ottawa Senators||This NHL team has a long history in Canada's ice hockey, since the early 20th century. They moved to St. Louis, and in the 90s they came back to Ottawa.|
|Toronto FC||If you enjoy a good match of soccer, then you will appreciate Toronto FC as an option to bet on. It's got a lot of dedicated supporters and the team itself has good odds to win competitions.|
Ontario Legal Betting Market
As of 2021, the Canadian government gave provinces the option to regulate their gaming markets. Previously, it was only possible to place sports bets through the official websites, which means that the state had a monopoly on this activity.
One of the first states that passed laws to create their regulated market, was Ontario. Since April 4th, 2022, the law took effect, and now there are multiple operators that you can place bets on. Once they obtained a license from AGCO (Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario), sportsbooks from all over the world became available to local punters. Before the market was even open, AGCO already issued 27 licenses to sportsbooks and casinos.
You could only use parlay bets for most sports events in the past, but single-event betting is now possible as well.
One of the core responsibilities of AGCO is to protect the players. The rules and regulations that they impose on sportsbooks will have to make sure that players can get help if they need it.
This means that there are things that the sportsbooks have to do before they allow you to sign-up for an account or place a bet. They have to make sure that underage players are not allowed in, and they also can't target them through their marketing activities. The same goes for self-excluded players, which can block themselves from playing for a period ranging from days to months.
iGaming regulator in the province.
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Phones: 416 326-8283 (Greater Toronto Area), 1 833 55-iGame / 1 833 554-4263 (for players from Canada & USA)
The organization helps citizens to solve addiction problems 24/7.
- Phone: 1-866-531-2600
- Chat: https://www.connexontario.ca/chat
Responsible Gambling Council
Players from Ontario can get help from the Responsible Gambling Council, with offices in Toronto. They can help players and their loved ones, by getting them a connection to a treatment provider in Ontario.